At Highline School District, the safety of our students will always be a priority. Even so, accidents do happen and resulting medical treatment can be very expensive.
In light of our student and safety priorities, it is important for families to know that the District does not assume responsibility for costs related to your student being injured while at school or while participating in school activities, wherever the location, including school sports or field trips. Student injuries at school or while participating in school activities are the responsibly of the student’s family medical insurance.
Some points to consider:
- Is your child already covered?
- Does your plan have large deductibles and co-insurance?
- Do you want to be able to see the doctor that you choose?
We understand that medical insurance can be costly and sometimes difficult to obtain, and in support of our students and families we have partnered with Myers-Stevens & Toohey & Co, a national student medical insurance administrator, to offer all families access to a low cost, voluntary student accident/sickness insurance program. They offer:
- Student Accident & Sickness Plan Insurance
- Interscholastic Tackle Football Accident Plan Insurance
- School-Time Accident Plan
- Dental Accident Plan
- Full-Time 24/7 Accident Plan
- Pharmacy SmartCard
Participation in any of these programs is optional, however, participation in school athletic programs requires medical insurance coverage. Please keep in mind that Highline School District does not provide medical insurance coverage for school accidents and in the event of an accident at school, you would be responsible for the medical bills. The following points are listed for your information and consideration:
- How To Enroll: To enroll, follow the Enrollment Application directions at https://www.myers-stevens.com/ . Do not send completed applications and/or money to the school.
- Coverage: Coverage begins upon receipt of the form and premium at Myers-Stevens. Any benefits awarded will be coordinated with other insurance carried by the family. As this policy does not provide unlimited coverage, it is important to read the accompanying brochure carefully. This insurance is highly recommended for students without other insurance.
- Claims: Any injury must be reported to the school immediately. Claim forms are available from the school office and must be completed by the school and parent and sent to Myers-Stevens within 90 days of the first medical visit.
- For students participating in tackle football, please note the Student Accident & Sickness plan does NOT cover high school tackle football. Only Tackle Football Accident Insurance covers tackle football.
Questions concerning claims or the insurance should be directed to the specific organizations. The school district and its employees are not parties to the contract. I encourage you to review this information carefully to determine the right insurance plan for your child. Should you have general questions, please contact Jessica Kido at 206.631.3076. If you have any questions about these plans you can call Myers-Stevens & Toohey at (800) 827-4695. Spanish speaking representatives are available.